- ‘Smart City Hospitality’ (2016-2019) – Project developing guidelines and tools for cities that could help them find solutions to achieve sustainable tourism with the aim to change city tourism into something that benefits tourists, residents and the environment. Funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No 693443) under the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe and CELTH, budget € 1.250.000
- Managing visitor pressure and events in an urban setting (2016-2018) – Project investigating visitor pressure in 7 European cities (Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, Leuven, Mechelen, Salzburg, Talinn). Co-funded by cities and CELTH, budget € 65.000.
- Visitor Pressure in Cities (2014-2016) – Project investigating visitor pressure in 6 European Cities (Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Munich). Co-funded by cities and CELTH, budget € 80.000.
Reports and presentations
- ITB Deep Dive Session: Overtourism: Smart Control Via Digital Technologies (2019). In collaboration with UNWTO.
- Ko Koens (2018) Slum tourism, ethics and local economic development – UNHABIT Global Urban Lecture. Click here to view on Youtube.
- Sandra Carvão, Ko Koens, & Albert Postma. (2018, September). Presentation of UNWTO Report on ‘Overtourism? Understanding and managing urban tourism growth beyond perceptions.’ Presented at the 7th UNWTO Global Summit on Urban Tourism, Seoul.
- UNWTO. (2018). Overtourism? Understanding and managing urban tourism growth beyond perceptions. Madrid: UNWTO.
- Koens, K. (2017). Sustainable tourism and the new urban agenda. Presented at the 6th Global Summit on Urban Tourism, Kuala Lumpur: UNWTO.
Koens, K., Postma, A., & Dominicus, H. (2016). Sharing your City: HotspotStadt. In ECM Annual Meeting & General Assembly, Madeira. Funchal.
Koens, K. (2016). Sustainable tourism on the new urban agenda: the importance of city hospitality. Presentation in cooperation with UNWTO presented at the UN Habitat III, Quito.